Addressing Your Discrimination Claim

Discrimination is a common issue that happens in today’s workplace. Whether discrimination is based on an applicant’s or employee’s age, sex, race, religion, disability, origin, ethnicity, or sexual orientation, there are things you can do to address or handle the violation of your employment rights.

Know Your Rights And Address Your Issue

Be knowledgeable in regards to where your company stands on discrimination claims and be sure to obtain a copy of your company’s discrimination policy. This may be important down the road in the event you need to obtain legal counsel for your discrimination claim.

You also must address your discrimination claim to the proper authority. Whether it be your direct supervisor, or your human resources department, be sure to understand what your company’s policy is in regards to who you need to go to in order to properly address discrimination claims. By addressing your concerns, you are allowing your supervisor or human resources department to take action, which can help to immediately stop your discrimination issue.

Document Your Discrimination Claim

One of the best ways to document your discrimination claim is by keeping a diary of all incidents including the dates, times, locations, and witnesses that were involved. Be sure to have detailed information in regards to the incident as well as what exactly was said or done. Another important tip is to keep any evidence of discrimination, such as pictures, or objects that may have been given to you or posted of you.

Obtain Legal Counsel

In the event your discrimination claim is not being handled appropriately, it is critical that you seek the help from an employment attorney that specializes in discrimination claims. Not only will they be able to help you better understand the complex anti-discrimination laws, but they will stand up for your employment rights and take the necessary legal action.

From discrimination, to harassment, to your civil rights, Maduff & Maduff have been protecting employment rights for more than 20 years. If you are in need of legal advice or representation for your employment claim, contact us today.